Morrissey “Greatest Hits” Arrives with 2007 Bowl Show Live Tracks Bonus
The bad news is that apparently there’s no U.S. label nor domestic release date. The good news is that, aside from the live Hollywood Bowl tunes, perhaps we aren’t missing too much with this curious “Greatest Hits” set. From the U.K. press release:
Morrissey has announced the track listing for the forthcoming “Greatest Hits” compilation to be released on CD and double vinyl on Polydor/Decca on 11th February (please note new release date).
The collection spans Morrissey’s stellar 20-year career as a true original, and one of the UK’s greatest musical talents. Every song on “Greatest Hits” is a UK Top 20 single. Nine of these are Top 10 hits. Two new songs are included – forthcoming single “That’s How People Grow Up” and “All You Need Is Me” – recorded with Jerry Finn, producer of 2004’s widely acclaimed No.2 album “You Are The Quarry”. Morrissey is currently working with Finn on his new studio album, the follow-up to 2006’s No.1 “Ringleader Of The Tormentors”. The new LP is scheduled for an Autumn ’08 release.
A special, limited edition run of CDs will feature a “Live At The Hollywood Bowl” bonus CD, featuring eight tracks recorded live in California on June 8th 2007.
“Greatest Hits” and “Live At The Hollywood Bowl” bonus CD track listings:
1. First Of The Gang To Die (from You Are The Quarry. UK no.6)
2. In The Future When All’s Well (from Ringleader of the Tormentors. UK no.17)
3. I Just Want To See The Boy Happy (from Ringleader Of The Tormentors. UK no. 16)
4. Irish Blood, English Heart (from You Are The Quarry. UK no. 3)
5. You Have Killed Me (from Ringleader Of The Tormentors. UK no.3)
6. That’s How People Grow Up (new)
7. Everyday Is Like Sunday (from Viva Hate. UK no.9)
8. Redondo Beach (from Live From Earls Court. UK no. 11)
9. Suedehead (from Viva Hate. UK no.5)
10. The Youngest Was The Most Loved (from Ringleader of the Tormentors. UK no.14)
11. The Last Of The Famous International Playboys (from Bona Drag. UK no.6)
12. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get (from Vauxhall & I. UK no.8)
13. All You Need Is Me (new)
14. Let Me Kiss You (from You Are The Quarry. UK no.8)
15. I Have Forgiven Jesus (from You Are The Quarry. UK no.10)
“Live At The Hollywood Bowl”:
1. The Last of the Famous International Playboys
2. The National Front Disco
3. Let Me Kiss You
4. Irish Blood, English Heart
5. I Will See You in Far-off Places
6. First of the Gang to Die
7. I Just Want to See the Boy Happy
8. Life is a Pigsty
Clearly, ol’ Mozzer’s ’avin’ a laugh in calling this 15-song set “Greatest Hits.” Not to mention the 15-year-old cover photo. If he’d only appended one single each from Quarry and Ringleaders to Rhino’s tasteful 2001 Best of Morrissey set, that would have been a far more representative “greatest hits.” But on the other hand, we do get eight live cuts from his Bowl show last summer. Maybe we’ll even get the tacky badge to go with the extra track(s). Sorry–I know–that joke isn’t funny anymore.
So what would your own Morrissey “Greatest Hits” tracklisting look like?